The Australian Citizenship Ceremony is a formal occasion. The simple and dignified ceremony is conducted by the Mayor. Family and friends are invited to attend.
Some requirements will need to be met before being eligible for Australian citizenship.
The first step involves passing a test set by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. Once you have passed the test, you will then need to take the following steps:
- Fill in an application form from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (Level 3, 55 Currie St, Adelaide or download the form at www.immi.gov.au).
- Complete the application form and lodge it at the Department of Immigration and Citizenship with an application fee.
- You will be contacted by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship to attend an interview at their office.
- Once you have received your letter of approval from the Minister of Immigration and Citizenship, your local or nominated Council will be notified within 4-6 weeks.
- You will then need to contact the Council office to arrange a suitable date for the Citizenship Ceremony.
- Please allow two weeks before the ceremony to allow for enough time for your certificate to be printed.
If you require a private ceremony (urgent) these can be performed but need to follow certain legislation requirements. These are determined by the Department of Immigration and Council.